9/4/13

birds through the window

The weather is finally getting springy so I should be out and about gathering more photos soon. Until then, I want to share the birds we have caught from inside looking out.


1. Waxeye  2. Grackles/Starlings 3. Paradise shelduck

4. Female finch 5. Spur-winged Plovers 6. Kingfisher

7. Pukeko 8. Swallows on fence 9. Seagull 

Waxeyes are called silvereyes in Australia. There are lots of starlings, finches, plovers and swallows around the house, along with lots of sparrows.

I believe the Paradise duck was just passing through, although they do like cow pastures a lot. 

The plovers fight with the local hawk over eggs.

This kingfisher is the only one I've seen so far.

Pukekos are funny-looking birds with long legs that prefer to walk or run although they can fly.

I like to watch the swallows fall straight down from the sky before they pull up and circle away.

The seagull must have been just visiting since he is about 20k from the ocean and found the only water source around. After this photo, he decided to sit a while in the water before going on his way.



14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Nice collection of birds. The Plovers and Kingfisher are some of my favorites. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

Wally Jones said...

What a great looking place you have!
I'm afraid I'd put the kettle on and never leave home!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful environment and wonderful birds!

Nova said...

I love Bird Watching and listening to their songs. These fellows are having so much voice^^

Greetings to you

Nova

Kusum said...

Lovely pics Betty. I like that picture of black birds much.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Betty Wonderful to be able to see all thesse birds from inside. Thanks for sharing.

MastHoliday said...

Beautiful looking your bird....

Unknown said...

Lots of spring!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Anonymous said...

lovely variety of birds in the collage

KL said...

It was so funny to read that weather is becoming springy for you guys as it is becoming autumny here :-). Which on of your many blogs that you update all the time? Please let me know so that I will make sure to visit it all the time.

Where are your photos of Orakei-konaki? I would love to see them.

KL said...

very nice arrangement and composition of the pictures :-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What an amazing variety to see out of your window! Great pictures...I always love to see the exotic (to me) birds you have over there...but even the ones we do see are better in your pictures.

Rambling Woods said...

I love to compare your birds and our birds to see the similarities and differences... lovely that we are all bird lovers though.. Michelle from Nature Notes..

Unknown said...

How lovely to see so many birds without going anywhere!

Stewart M said...

Nice variety of birds. I think a trip to NZ needs to happen.

Glad you enjoyed my "wordy" post on Central Australia.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: and in the "its a small world" category, I went to school with a girl who now lives in Taranaki!